This recipe is from our own Mary Fitzgerald. Mary has been baking Porter Cake for more years than she would care to remember! In 2016, she tweaked the ingredients to incorporate the newly-launched Dick’s Stout which was specially created in memory of her much-loved husband, the late Dick Fitzgerald. You can use any stout, but we think Dick’s Stout brings a rich hint of sweet chocolate which really brings out the flavours of the mixed spice and candied peel.
If you would like to make this cake extra-dark, why not use dark brown sugar? We sometimes add grated orange and lemon peel to the recipe too for an added citrus hit.
- 450g/1lb Plain Flour
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 level teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 level teaspoon Mixed Spice
- 225g / 8oz Sugar
- 225g / 8oz Butter
- 450g / 1lb Sultanas
- 125g / 4oz Candied Peel
- 300ml / ½ pint Stout (we use Dick’s Stout, but feel free to use your own favourite stout)
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- Preheat oven 180°C / 350°F / Gas 4
- Line a 20cm/8” round cake tin with greaseproof paper
- Sieve the flour, salt, baking powder and mixed spice into a bowl and add the sugar
- Rub in the butter and add the fruit and mix
- Add the porter to the beaten eggs and add to fruit mixture
- Mix well
- Transfer to the prepared tin and bake for approximately 2 hours
- Place on a low shelf position in the oven
Top Tip: Check cake after an hour and if it is browning too quickly, cover with a double layer of greaseproof paper until baked.